π
<-
Chat plein-écran
[^]

Serial connection with Raspberry Pi 3b

:32tins: :32tinsktpb: :32tinsktpn: :32tinscas: :32tinstpkc: :32tinstpktpb: :32tinstp: :32tinscastp: :32tinscmc: :32tinscx: :32tinscxcas:

Serial connection with Raspberry Pi 3b

Message non lude Nico3110 » 05 Oct 2021, 12:50

I have my old and fully bricked Ti-Nspire CX (no CAS) and an old Raspberry Pi 3b. Is it possible to flash a boot2 file with my Raspberry Pi? The pins have a voltage of 3.3V and I think the Nspire does need 3.3V, right? If I am right I must connect Rx, Tx and one gnd of my calculator to my Pi and then I should be able to flash a boot2. But what is the best way to connect them? I have plugs which exactly fit on the pins of my Pi but what can I do to connect the Nspire? I don't want to solder wires on my calculator...
Nico3110
Niveau 2: MI2 (Membre Initié)
Prochain niv.: 0%

Genre: Non spécifié
Calculatrice(s):
MyCalcs profile
GitHub: Nick768

Re: Serial connection with Raspberry Pi 3b

Message non lude SuperXX » 06 Oct 2021, 17:05

I have my old and fully bricked Ti-Nspire CX (no CAS) and an old Raspberry Pi 3b. Is it possible to flash a boot2 file with my Raspberry Pi? The pins have a voltage of 3.3V and I think the Nspire does need 3.3V, right? If I am right I must connect Rx, Tx and one gnd of my calculator to my Pi and then I should be able to flash a boot2. But what is the best way to connect them?

Sorry, but I don´t think it would work. To restore your calculator, the normal proccedure needs a program called "HyperTerminal", which is an acient WIndows program and the Raspberry Pi can´t run Windows from what I know. But even if it works in someway with some linux alternative, I wouldn´t choose this route. But I don´t have a raspberry pi and never used one so, maybe I´m completly wrong of course.

I have plugs which exactly fit on the pins of my Pi but what can I do to connect the Nspire? I don't want to solder wires on my calculator...

You don´t need to solder anything and you shouldn´t,except the pins in the USB-TTL adapter, which is the only way. Generally you just need to manage to get the plastic part that is on top of the pins. I used some tapes to make the plastic piece stuck a bit behind, lifted it a little bit and got the plastic part to stuck the cables behind. I should point that you only need to connect one GND, and from my experience, connect the one that is away from the others. If the output in the terminal is strange symbols or boot2 fails to send, try to mess a bit with your TXD and RX cables
SuperXX
Niveau 7: EP (Espèce Protégée: geek)
Prochain niv.: 43.8%

Genre: Homme
Calculatrice(s):
MyCalcs profile

Message non lude Nico3110 » 08 Oct 2021, 00:55

Thank you for your reply. I think your way of connecting the cables should work for me too. And the software part shouldn't be a big problem because there are lots of alternatives for Linux. You are right; I can't run Windows on my Pi but what I read I could use Putty for Linux. It should support serial connection and xmoden (or was it zmodem?). However, if I can connect everything and flash a boot2, I will make a tutorial of the procedure, because I know quite a lot people who have a Raspberry Pi and some of them have bricked devices which possibly can be flashed exactly the same way (for example the newer generation of this calculators). For now I only wanted to know if it's possible and have to wait until I have enough time to make these things work and I have to search some cables ;)

Edit: Was there a reason for connecting the gnd which is away from each other? Is it safer or easier?
Nico3110

Calculatrice(s):
MyCalcs profile

Message non lude SuperXX » 09 Oct 2021, 17:10

Nico3110 a écrit:Thank you for your reply. I think your way of connecting the cables should work for me too. And the software part shouldn't be a big problem because there are lots of alternatives for Linux. You are right; I can't run Windows on my Pi but what I read I could use Putty for Linux. It should support serial connection and xmoden (or was it zmodem?).However, if I can connect everything and flash a boot2, I will make a tutorial of the procedure, because I know quite a lot people who have a Raspberry Pi and some of them have bricked devices which possibly can be flashed exactly the same way (for example the newer generation of this calculators). For now I only wanted to know if it's possible and have to wait until I have enough time to make these things work and I have to search some cables ;)

Yes do a tutorial, these procedures are not really straight forward for beginers so do that. And yes there is putty, which I forgot but I think it works.

It should support serial connection and xmoden (or was it zmodem?)

It´s xmodem xD

Edit: Was there a reason for connecting the gnd which is away from each other? Is it safer or easier?
[/quote]
It´s easier to keep all cables stuck without welding/soldering
SuperXX
Prochain niv.: 43.8%

Genre: Homme
Calculatrice(s):
MyCalcs profile

Message non lude Nico3110 » 20 Oct 2021, 18:39

Sorry for my late reply. I study computer sciences in Germany and therefore I don't have much time. But maybe I could do it at my university :-). Then I could make a video (or ask somebody to make a video) and explain it step by step. I bought some wires, but I noticed they were shipped from China. I don't know how long it takes... If I have about two hours and an empty room I could make it (I think my university has some wires too) but I don't know if I make a new topic in this forum with a tutorial or if I make a video
Nico3110

Calculatrice(s):
MyCalcs profile

Retourner vers Problèmes divers / Aide débutants