YOSHI'S COOKIE Version 1.0 by Fred Coughlin (a member of the TCPA (tcpa.calc.org)) ============= Game Overview ============= Yoshi's Cookie was originally a game for Super Nintendo back around 1993. The idea was (and still is) simple: you rearrange the stacks of cookies to form a row, and the row is then removed from the screen. The object is to clear all of the cookies from the screen in order to advance to the next level. However, there are 2 modes, both of which attempt to add difficulty to the mission: Action - In this mode, there is a timer on the right side of the screen. When the timer gets to the bottom, another row and column of cookies gets added. If there are 8 rows or 8 columns on the screen when the timer reaches the bottom, the game is over =( Puzzle - There is no timer in this mode; however, you are given a set number of shifts in order to clear the entire board. If the board is cleared, you can go on to the next level. If the board isn't cleared, the game is over. ========= Game play ========= The object of the game is to create an entire row or column filled with the same cookie. In order to do this, you "shift" the columns by holding the 2nd key when you press a directional arrow. This causes the pieces to shift, and the piece that was on the end loops around to the beginning of the row. There are 5 different pieces, plus the additional "Yoshi cookie" that appears as the game progresses. Cookie meters - These are the pictures of the cookies that are not directly on the game board. When you clear a row from the board, the meter of what you cleared will increase by 1 unit. When the meter is filled, you will receive the special "Yoshi cookie" the next time that the timer expires. Yoshi Cookie - This piece (which actually looks like a question mark due to my lack of artistic ability) will appear as described above. It is a wild-card cookie, and can be used to complete ANY row or column, filling in as whatever piece you needed. You receive 1 cookie every time you complete a cookie meter. ======== Controls ======== In Action Mode: Arrows - Move the cursor 2nd + Arrows (simultaneously) - Shift the entire row Mode - Pause game Clear - Exit to main menu In Puzzle Mode: Arrows - Move the cursor 2nd + Arrows (simultaneously) - Shift the entire row Mode - Reset the level Clear - Exit to main menu Menus: Up/Down - Toggle option Enter - Accept the highlighted option Clear - Go back to main menu Password/High score menus: A-Z - put that letter on the screen Del - remove a letter Enter - accept initials/pass Clear - exit menu ========================== Scoring (Action mode only) ========================== # of pieces in row | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Score | 1 | 2 | 4 | 8 | 16 | 32 | 64 Chains - Any time that you clear more than row/column with 1 shift, you will receive a bonus on your score. You will receive 1x(points for the first row removed) + 2x(points for the second row removed) + 4x(points for the third row removed) + ..... etc. =============== Version History =============== 0.8 - Not Released public Puzzle and Action Modes implemented Internal Level Sets Released for the 82/83 SOS/83 ION/83+ ION Uses interrupt for timer 1.0 - First public release Timer routine changed, due to problems caused when playing on the actual calc Added more levels (70 total) 1.01 - Fixed a bug in level 36 (thanks to Brad Wentz for catching this) ==== BUGS ==== There are (as far as I have determined through testing) no major bugs in these versions. I cannot be held responsible for anything that happens if the calculator is thrown against the wall in confusion, or for any other damage that you may inflict on it. =) ========= THANKS TO ========= (in alphabetical order) Dan Englander - for putting up w/ me during bug testing time Jason Kovacs - for his Rectangle Routines which I modified for this program, and for his help in debugging Joe Wingbermuehle - for ION and SOS Sean Reed - for testing, and pushing me to make the game :) Nintendo of America - for the game, as well as many of the puzzles from the game which I used And anyone else I forgot to thank ================== CONTACT THE AUTHOR ================== If you need to contact me, my e-mail is Yoda495@aol.com or fred_derf@yahoo.com. I had ICQ for a while, but it is no longer installed on my machine, so I cannot use it. Please send me any comments, bugs, and/or suggestions, but please do not send port requests; I will most likely ignore any e-mails just saying, "Port this to the 89." I did not yet release the source for this (mainly because it is in EXTREMELY messy shape, but I will consider individual requests as they come.