Omnimaga presents an Epic Programming Studio game Reuben Quest: Ev Awakening version 1.02 (c) 2004, programmed by Kévin Ouellet alias Dream of Omnimaga ============ INTRODUCTION ============ First of all, thanks for downloading this! Reuben Quest is a game that is quite hard to classify due to its variety. I like to say it's a puzzle game because you have to explore to find items to advance in your quest and sometimes you have to solve riddles. Sometimes, you may have to explore at the same place for a while to figure out that something actually does something :). However, I also like to say that it's a RPG too because as you wander around you have to fight powerful creatures to get strong enough to face more powerful foes and you can interact with NPCs (non-player characters) to get clues. So basically it should be classified as a puzzle-RPG :). This might satisfy people regardless of if they like puzzles or role-playing games! Also, exploring the Reuben world and fighting all the awesome looking creatures roaming around will satisfy your eyes a lot because the entire game is in grayscale!!!!!!!!! With the help of Omnicalc and other ASM libraries, this game will change TI-BASIC language forever. All you need is a TI-83+ Silver Edition, a TI-84+ or a TI-84+ Silver Edition calculator (for speed a regular 83+ isn't recommended) with all your RAM and 60 KB of archive memory then you just have to sit down to enter a world filled with mysteries, challenges and revolutionary graphics. ========== INSTALLING ========== (Note: This game is compatible with Doors CS 7. If you have it installed, you don't need to use Omnicalc) 1) First of all, reset your RAM. Make sure you have enough archive memory (at least 80 KB). If you already have Omnicalc (version 1.2 or later) INSTALLED on your calc, go directly to step 4. 2) In TI-Connect Device Exploder or TI-Graph-Link locate "files/archive/part 1" folder, select Omnicalc.8xk (Omnicalc v.1.25) and send it (check TI-Connect or TI-Graph Link help file). 3) Once it's sent to your calculator, press the APPS key then select Omnicalc. Press any key to clear the splash screen and when the main menu appears, choose "1: Install/Uninstall". If it asks to overwrite hooks, press Y= to choose yes. Now Omnicalc should be installed. 4) Locate the "files/archive/part 2" folder on your computer and send the files to your calculator's ARCHIVE memory (NOT THE RAM). 5) Locate the "files/RAM" folder and send the files to your calculator RAM. 6) To play the game, open the PRGM menu. select AREUBEN and press ENTER twice. IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this game never needs to write data into the Flash ROM (archived programs are copied in the RAM in order to be ran), it will require A LOT of RAM during execution. Due to the fact that each archived programs/group/variables names takes at least 12 KB of RAM, if you have too many files not related to Reuben Quest on your calc this may result into ERR:MEMORYs. Make sure you only have a few files on your calc before installing the game. ===== STORY ===== Once upon a time on a foreign island, an evil knight named Ev came in order to disturb the peace that citizens established. Then one day a warrior with legendary power came to defeat the knight to save the people. Then the hero vanished. Several years passed and one day, Ev arose from darkness once again, and no sign from the hero that defeated him a few years ago. So a young boy called Reuben with magic power had to save the world once again... Reuben must go to Ev Palace at the top of the Wind Peak to defeat the knight, but reaching the palace will not be easy. He will have to explore, solve puzzles and fight many foes in order to get here. ======== CONTROLS ======== Title screen -Any key except ON: open main menu -ON: Exit game Main menu -Arrows: Change contrast (to make sure that everyone can see grayscale properly on all calculator models) -ALPHA: New game -2nd: Load game -ON/CLEAR: Exit game During walking -Arrows: Move Reuben. To look at or take something, talk to someone or open a door, just walk into it. -2nd: Open menu -ON/CLEAR: Exit game During talking -Any key except ON: Continue to the next part of text or close text box. -ON: Exit game During Battles -Arrows: choose battle commands. -Any key except arrows and ON: cancel magic selection. In game menu -ALPHA: Use Water or Elixir item -2nd: Exit menu -ON/CLEAR: Exit game ======= BATTLES ======= When you walk or trigger special events, you may be engaged in a battle. Be prepared. Depending on your LV, monsters will sometimes attack first. When it's your turn an attack pad will appear on the screen (much like Lufia for the SNES). Use arrows to choose commands. The left icon allows you to attack, the upper one allows you to use magic (requires 5 MP), the lower one allows you to use items in your bottle (if you have a bottle with an item inside) and the right one allows you to escape. Escaping only work half of the time and you cannot escape from boss fights. Here is a quick description of each battle commands: -Attack: Attack normally -Magic: Use magic (open a new attack pad) Fire (lower icon): Do fire damage Ice (upper icon): Do ice damage Bolt (right icon): Do bolt damage Cure (left icon): Restore some HP -Items: Use items Water: Restore all HP Elixir: Restore all HP/MP (*whistle*) Fire: Do a lot of fire damage -Escape: Can escape from battle Note that offensive magic does the same amount of damage as normal attacks, but depending on the monster's weaknesses, they can do less or more damage. Also you should use your items wisely because they have special uses outside battles too. Also keep your HP high. When they are too low, come back to your house to replenish them and save your game (save often!). If you go into a dungeon and feel that monster attacks are too strong, just wander outside and fight weaker creatures to get stronger. When you win a battle you get experience points (to view how many exp you gained go in the menu) and when you reach a certain amount you level up. ==== MENU ==== While walking, press 2nd to bring the menu. Here you can view your items, your status (LV/HP/MP/Experience) and the area you are in. Note about items: when you have something inside the bottle only the name of the item inside of the bottle will be displayed. Press ALPHA to use it (or trash it). During the game if you already have an item in the bottle and find a new item to put it in it will replace the old item so you don't absolutely need to trash the old one :). ====================== INFO ABOUT GAME SAVING ====================== To save your game you have to sleep at your house. Make sure you don't modify or delete the RQSAV list or you will restart from the beginning the next time you load your game. ==== BUGS ==== There should not be any bugs (and insects :)) in the game (as far as I know) if you installed it correctly. ================================== MISCELLANEOUS STUFF ABOUT THIS GAME ================================== -In the evening of November 20th 2004, as I was messing around with the new Play( command in Omnicalc, a BASIC grayscale trick suddenly came into my head. Next morning I made two pictures then made a walking loop with many Sprite( commands. When I saw the result, I thought: "TI-BASIC is now different from what it was yesterday". -It took me almost 3 weeks to make this game. Developpement started on November 22th 2004 and ended on December 11th 2004. -If you want to program games like this check my Guide to TI-83+ Silver Edition BASIC Grayscale at ticalc.org. It contains everything you need to start up. ================ ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS ================ -Detacheds Solutions for Omnicalc application. Without their hard work TI-83+SE/84+/SE grayscale would never have been possible in TI-BASIC! -Patrick Prendergast for xLIB -Kevtiva Interactive for Flash Gordon and Zpic -Michael Vincent for BASIC Tools programs (and Omnicalc) -Everyone at Epic Programming Studio! -Square-Enix because I borrowed some monster sprites from Final Fantasy II and III -And everybody I forgot to mention :) =========== DISCLAIMERS =========== -You may look at the code, but you may not steal it or modify it and release this game as your own. If you want to use some part of the code in your games, please give me some credits... and make sure it's a GOOD game :). -I will not be held responsible for any damage caused to your calc. ========================= CONTACT AND WEBSITE LINKS ========================= -https://djomnimaga.music-2000.com